NOBULL: Slaughterhouse Closed After Huge Beef Recall
Slaughterhouse Closed After Huge Beef Recall
By JoNel Aleccia
A California slaughterhouse that recalled nearly 9 million pounds of beef parts is voluntarily shutting its doors, federal officials said Tuesday.
Rancho Feeding Corp. of Petaluma, Calif., made the move after expanding a January recall to include a year’s worth of products –- 8.7 million pounds — including beef carcasses and heads, as well as beef lips, cheeks, feet, hearts and tongue.
Officials with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said the firm processed “diseased and unsound” animals without the benefit of full inspection. Spokesman Richard McIntire said he couldn’t elaborate on what diseases were detected or how the firm failed to meet full inspections.
A company worker told NBC News Monday that the animals were not diseased. The man, who declined to give his name, said that most of the recalled product had already been sold, and that the firm had received only about 600 pounds of returned product.
FSIS officials are posting lists of stores where the recalled meat was sold. Check here for details.